2008-02-20

Hard Day At The Office 8 hr Enduro

The first Enduro race of the year and one that I didn't missed out on doing during the last 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately the number of participants a bit cut down due to the busy race calendar and the Otway Odyssey coming up the weekend after.
On Saturday night everybody went up to the pub in town to register for the race and to have the much needed pre-race meal. Thumbs down for the pub not being able to care for the number of people and for the worst Raviolis I had for a long time after waiting for 1.5 hours....!
Ahead of us 8 hours of combination of heat, dust and challenging race tracks. Unfortunately I saw myself more or less without competition, as only one other female rider entered the female solo category. Hard to keep motivated when there is really no point, but I my goal was to race for 7 hours and to use the race as a race preparation for the 24hr National race coming up in Easter. Admittedly my mind was more challenged than my body. I felt a bit bored by the lack of race excitement in my category and even sat down for 'afternoon tea'.

After 12 laps and 7.5 hours, I decided to call it a day and to leave work earlier. I could have pushed it harder and spent less time in transition cooling down under a so longed for ice-water shower. But racing in extreme heat and facing the technical, switch back single tracks and sometimes demoralizing climbs and fast descents was a fair demand on the rider’s concentration and energy. And I was never really challenged which was little bit boring.
Well done to everybody out there!
The best was still to come that afternoon - jumping into the cold river afterwards with Katie, Tom, Ali and Vinca ........ ah, I forgot to mention that I won the race.

No comments: